Candidates’ Day Advice – Ricky Kong

With interview season underway, current students reflect back on their experiences at our interview day (Candidates’ Day).

Besides UNC, how many other pharmacy school interviews did you attend?
None – I only interviewed at UNC

How did you prepare for Candidates’ Day (or pharmacy interviews in general)?
I looked up a list of generally accepted MMI questions. I took that list and practiced with some friends in order to get general feedback of my speaking skills. Feeling comfortable with what you are talking about really comes across in an interview. One of the biggest things that you can do is practice and I know it sounds cliche, but it really does work.

What did you like about Candidates’ Day?
I really enjoyed the structure of the MMI interview. Being able to talk to multiple people can help build a candidate’s confidence as the day proceeds. Also it can help that you can give multiple first impressions if there was an interview that you did not feel great about. Overall, the people I met that day, both candidates and volunteers, appeared to be really enjoying themselves. By the end of Candidate’s Day, I was already sold on wanting to go to the Eshelman School of Pharmacy.

What advice would you give prospective students preparing for interviews/Candidates Day?
Make a good first impression on people. Pharmacy is a professional health field so we are expected to act accordingly. Carrying yourself appropriately as well as being attentive in all of the activities goes a long way.