Meet the Ambassador – Bliss Green

green_bliss

Bliss Green, Class of 2019, Chapel Hill Campus
Hometown: Wilmington, NC
Prior Education: Bachelor’s degree – Biochemistry and Health, NC State University

If you could have any superhero power, what would it be and why?
I would be able to adjust/freeze time (without it affecting my age). I just feel like there are not enough hours in the day! Wouldn’t it be nice to just freeze time so that you could have a couple extra hours to sleep-in or study for an exam approaching? I could pause traffic and go around, fast-forward through uncomfortable situations and rewind and reexperience exciting situations.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Bora Bora. I am in love with tropical islands with clear blue water and white sand.

What three words best describe you?
Friendly, organized and passionate.

When you were younger – what did you want to be when you grew up?
I feel like I changed my mind often. I remember wanting to be a “movie star” and performing skits/dances for my family.

How did you get interested in pharmacy?
Since I was a senior in high school, I knew I wanted to pursue a field in healthcare. I am fascinated by science and am empathetic towards people. I looked into many aspects of healthcare in addition to pharmacy (including medical, PA, nursing, etc.) and found that pharmacy was the best fit for me. My roommate at the time was applying to pharmacy school and helped guide me through the process.

What would you change about your undergraduate studies and/or preparing for pharmacy school?
I cannot think of anything I would change about my undergraduate studies. Biochemistry was a great program at NCSU that required all of the necessary courses to perform well on the PCAT and to provide the baseline knowledge necessary to keep up when entering pharmacy school. Speaking of the PCAT, make sure to start studying for it at least a few months before you are planning to take it!

What experience/class/activity from undergrad best prepared you for pharmacy school?
I think just being involved overall throughout undergrad was important. It is important to challenge yourself so that you can develop time-management skill and test your limits. I made sure to apply for extracurriculars that challenged me (e.g. honors and scholars programs) as well as extracurriculars geared towards my hobbies (e.g. dance teams).

What advice would you give a prospective students interested in pharmacy?
I am happy with my decision to pursue pharmacy. There are so many different career paths available with a PharmD degree. I would advise prospective students to focus on their undergraduate coursework and keep their GPA up while also getting involved on campus and in the community.

What advice would you give a prospective student trying to decide between pharmacy and another health profession?
I would advise them to really research professions/career paths that the degree offers and see where they are best fit and where their personality traits would allow them to excel. More importantly, shadow someone in the field and see what it is like. Ask questions to your peers, professors, advisors, parents, friend’s parents, etc. If available, join student interest clubs on campus and attend informational sessions to learn more about the professions you are interested in.

Why did you choose the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy?
Besides the fact that I am from a family of Tar Heels, UNC has everything I could ask for in a pharmacy school. From the reputation and ranking, redesigned curriculum, and prestigious faculty, UNC contains all of the resources necessary to challenge students and produce the future leaders in pharmacy. The location of the school, being in the triangle area/research capital and right next to UNC hospital, presents numerous opportunities for growth as a student healthcare professional. I believe that UNC produces cutting-edge pharmacists who are capable of adapting to the ever-changing field. The new curriculum teaches students to be better problem solvers and innovators, while also subjecting students to increased hours of patient care and clinical experience. All of these aspects set the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy apart from other pharmacy schools across the nation. I feel honored to be a part of this program!

What’s been one of your favorite experiences at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy so far?
My first immersion experience/rotation this past summer at UNC Hospital has been my favorite experience so far in pharmacy school. It made me realize the importance of everything I am learning and striving to become. I was able to witness the value of a pharmacist in the clinical setting and provide patient-care to real-life patients in need. It was an amazing learning opportunity and really solidified by passion for the profession of pharmacy.

Have more questions for Bliss? Feel free to send her an email: elizabeth_green@unc.edu